Sherwood Forest Park
A delegation from the neighbourhood and Councillor Squire met last week with City staff last week. This was in follow up to a recent report to City Council from City Staff on progress to date on the housing development planned for part of the former Sherwood Forest School site. There were no successful responses to the RFP (Request for Proposals), therefore the City staff recommended going forward with a tender. We want to be sure that a community representative will be involved in the tendering process.
We got that commitment. City staff were also quite clear that this is a demonstration project to show a great example of infill housing. They want to do it right and in a way that meets the community’s expectations from the year long process we went through in 2014.
One caution, and this was always the case: once sold, the new owner could apply to the City to change the zoning on the site (can’t prevent someone from applying). However, we are pretty certain from the meeting that City staff would not support a change. If Council turned down the change, the new owner could appeal it to the OMB. However, we would think the OMB would see the process we went through as good planning.
Museum of Ontario Archaeology Events
Join us for Maple Harvest Festival on March 11 and 12. See how nature’s natural sugar was first harvested by North American indigenous peoples. Featuring:
- demonstrations of First Nations sap collection methods;
- hot-rock cooking demonstrations;
- displays of maple harvesting artifacts discovered at local archaeological sites;
- elder blessing, teachings and storytelling;
- a bake table with maple treats and hot beverages;
- cultural vendors and crafts tables;
- and much more.
Purchase maple syrup and maple products from First Nations owned and operated Giizhigat Maple Products.
It’s also a great time to try the new Virtual Reality Longhouse Exhibit, visit the Warrior Womyn: Reclaiming Our Identity feature exhibit and tour the main gallery and village.
Admission by donation during the Festival. Cost of the Virtual Reality Longhouse Exhibit is $2.00.
Registration is now open for March Break, P.A. Days, Summer and Youth Camps:
- March Break Camp, March 13-17 (Ages 5-9) – London: Past, Present & Future is this year’s theme in keeping with Canada/Ontario 150 celebrations.
- P.A. Day Camp, March 31 (Ages 5-9): Keep your kids active and engaged with hands-on learning. Book for the June 9 camp too!