Orchard Park Sherwood Forest Ratepayers is a neighbourhood organization in London, Ontario serving the Orchard Park and Sherwood Forest areas of London.
The neighbourhood is approximately bounded on the west by Wonderland Road, Sarnia Road on the South, Gainsborough Road to the North, and the University of Western Ontario and the Medway Valley on the east.
The purpose of the OPSFR is:
- To promote an organized neighbourhood network to respond to developments and changes.
- To present a strong unified voice with government.
- To represent the interests of our neighbourhood.
- To support and maintain existing facilities e.g. pool, arena, library and tennis courts.
- To raise concerns regarding traffic, surrounding developments, environment and Medway Valley protection.
- To liaise with other ratepayer groups.
- To protect our zoning restrictions.
- To have the financial strength to represent our needs when necessary.
- To keep our community informed.
- To organize community meetings and functions.
The modern day story of Orchard Park and Sherwood Forest area of Northwest London began many years ago.
In 1955 developer Bill Davies confirmed plans for a $7.5 million, 500 home development on land in the Brescia Heights area of what was then London Township. Promotional material said that this project “carved out a huge apple orchard” from farms owned by the Sleights, Edwards and Palsers into Orchard Park.
Many of the street names reflect Davies’ interests. Bromleigh is tied to Birmingham, England, where a daughter lived. Wychwood Park echoes the name of the lovely Toronto neighbourhood where he grew up.
Development continued gradually north of Orchard Park, as Sherwood Forest, the site of Dr. Russell Schram’s farm, in three phases 1960, 1963 and 1964.
These and many more details about our community can be found in Orchard Park Through the Ages, a 1983 London Board of Education publication spearheaded by the pupils of Orchard Park Public School to celebrate its 25th anniversary which is available at Neighbourhood documents along with other community documents including the original sales brochures!