BRT Update from Councillor Squire
Given the announcement yesterday and the media attention I want to bring you up to date on the BRT process:
1. The City staff will be having their last Public Information Sessions on the BRT before it comes to council for final approval. Attached is the information on the date and location and an overview of what will be discussed.
2. The provincial government through the Minister of Transportation yesterday announced that it will fund the BRT plan to the extent of up to 170 million dollars. The city itself has committed 130 million which means the project needs approximately 200 million from the Federal government to be completely funded. The provincial government made it clear that it is funding this plan only.
3. The plan will be coming to council for final approval in April. Please keep in mind that the initial vote on the business plan was 14-2. I have no reason to believe that vote will change.
4. The chances of this council putting this matter to a referendum in the election is I believe almost zero. I have heard this suggestion being made so I wanted to comment on it.
5. I will be having a public meeting prior to the final council decision so I can hear from constituents.
These are I believe the important points to make. If you have any questions please let me know.
City Councillor, Ward 6
Brescia will be demolishing the building behind its library and removing the portable and replacing it with a new building of similar height and footprint. Here is a message from the Principal and Brescia’s media release. Brescia will keep the community updated.
In 2019, as we celebrate our centennial year, we will also set a course for the next 100 years with the opening of a new state-of-the art academic pavilion.
This modern, light-filled building will not only allow us to respond to the strong demand for the Brescia experience, but will also support our world-class academic programs, current and future growth aspirations and bold leadership for decades to come.
I invite you to learn more about this announcement in the press release below and I look forward to keeping you up to date on this exciting milestone in Brescia’s story.
Dr. Susan Mumm, DPhil
Brescia University College is investing in future women leaders through the construction of a new $ 14 million state-of-the-art academic pavilion. The 30,000 square foot, light-filled building captures the best in educational design. The pavilion will include three state-of-the-art food and nutritional science laboratories, sensory and research laboratories, two multi-tiered classrooms, informal study spaces and an active learning classroom designed for dynamic group work to support Brescia’s current and future growth aspirations.
Designed by the internationally recognized architectural firm HDR, the pavilion is anticipated to open in Fall 2019, which coincides with the 100th anniversary celebration of the University’s founding in 1919.
For more information on Brescia’s academic pavilion, including renderings and live updates, visit: brescia.uwo.ca/academic-pavilion
Additional facts, photos and updates can also be found by following @BresciaUC and #BresciaBuilds2019 on Twitter. Additional information will continue to be updated throughout the course of the project. Questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Be Aware and Be Careful
An open garage was vandalized on Bloomfield Drive recently. It is hard to believe but there are people who wander the neighbourhood looking for “soft” targets. Please do not hesitate to report suspicious activities to the police.